Friday, June 25, 2010

Silly Buggers!

Wow! What a year and a half this has been. Mortgages, children, the wife...JUST KIDDING! But I have grown up quite a bit, in ways that are quite unacceptable to my parents.

Have you all heard of the Brown Dog Affair? There's many issues at stake here. I tend to side with the medical profession on this one. If Bayliss and Starling hadn't gone about vivisecting dogs, we might never have discovered hormones! And we certainly wouldn't be calling them "hormones." We wouldn't know the first thing about gastric function, and imagine how far behind medical science would be!

I also feel like those Swedish bitches exploited the unhappiness of the British worker in order to push their own political agenda. They chose Battersea because it was a sea of roiling discontent (and batter). They willfully lied about the dog not being anesthetized. How could you possibly open up a dog and show people delicate anatomical features while it was still awake? It would writhe around so much that you'd end up tearing out its insides.

I'm not happy with the fact that we often treat animals like they are convenient blocks of meat that we can use for our own convenience. But I really dislike it when people act more concerned about the plight of other animals, particularly animals we keep as pets, than they do about humans. I also really dislike dishonesty and spin.

In other news: my mom's on Facebook, and I am not anymore! Hurraaaah!

4 comments:

J. A. Rama said...

I think I agree. I am still not entirely comfortable with the idea of vivisection, but then the animals *are* completely anesthetized and they don't feel anything. How else would we obtain the innumerable frogs which schoolchildren slice open every day?

Besides which, we learn crucial, life-saving data (not just in medicine) by poking around in places which people tell us not to.

And as for the dog...even if it was tied up and muzzled, it would still twitch horribly and there would be grunts and moans. Those Swedish women were probably just looking for an excuse to protest. And if it was struggling, I doubt that not even one person in a whole crowd would not protest. (Argh, buried my meaning in double negatives!)

And as for eating animals, in the past, we did have to do it, because there just wasn't a big variety of food available, and you have to live. But I think it's just not so necessary nowadays when there are so many other ways to obtain nutrition. I think the sheer commercialization of convenient meat production has now desensitized many people to what it actually involves.

I especially don't understand the oxymoronical concept of a non-vegetarian animal rights activist.

Consternation Button said...

Well, the frogs used in dissection are not exactly "vivisected." Vivisection means to cut something open while it is still alive. I think it's a fairly politicized term, as we could say that surgery was vivisection.

The Swedish women said the dog was "struggling mightily" and "crying out horribly." One of the physiologists pointed out that the dog had had a tracheotomy in the past. I think that's kind of funny. "Oh, I couldn't have been torturing the animal so badly it was crying out...BECAUSE I REMOVED ITS ABILITY TO CRY!"

I think that there's a large movement to humanize the use of animals for food. Activists against large industry factory farming typically are vegetarian, because they're the ones being presented with shoddy meat by the food industry. I tend to be mistrustful of activists in general.

Consternation Button said...

*non-vegetarian

J. A. Rama said...

Well, the frogs *are* still alive. Heh.

That's just ridiculous. It would still have struggled.

Heh, activists are suspicious. Why not just join the underground (like literally underground) secret Movement every Wednesday night like everyone else?

Oh...is that just me?